Resolutions and The Like (it’s time)
This year I plan to:
Get a credit card, get health insurance, get a driver’s permit. Possibly even a license but let’s start with permit.
Be calm. Try to work through anger, frustration and anxiety in the quickest way possible - they’re impossible to avoid but they don’t have to linger. They are the silent killers!
Continue to be understanding, honest, healthy, compassionate, creative, productive, thoughtful, silly, goofy, and curious.
Move into my own studio apartment.
Move my artwork toward what I truly want it to be - actively and passionately and aggressively. I know what I am capable of making and the feeling that I want to create/evoke. I am not doing that quite yet but I need to throw myself at it! There is no time like the present! I am more familiar than ever with what I want and that’s half the battle.
I am an open person but I shall open myself more to change, new friendships and new experiences.
Cherish myself, forgive myself, nourish myself, defend myself when needed, share myself when asked, laugh at myself, recognize my worth, and educate myself.
Work hard and save at least $6,000. (provided I have no emergencies :/ ).
Let’s go 2014!
The Letter Project (take 2…or 3?)
Friends, it’s exciting for me to say that I have now received a total of 25 letters for my letter project, the two most recent being from Knoxville TN and India!!
As a summary of what the letter project is, I’m going to say that I started the project last summer when I reached out to 26 people (via snail-mail) that I randomly found on the yellowpages.com with 18 questions and asked them for their anonymous responses and for whatever reason, none of them wrote back. Most of my letters were returned to me. I wanted these people’s anonymous answers because I wanted to display them all together eventually and create connections between strangers and touch the letter-viewers with the knowledge that we are all different and similar, vulnerable, goofy, serious, scared, etc.
When none of the people I wrote to got back to me I felt a little disillusioned but I got over it. I did nothing with the project for about 3 months and then I thought to myself: well, I have the p.o. box, I might as well throw this project into the internet and see what happens. 25 letters happened! It’s exciting and inspiring!
I have extended my p.o. box to June 2014 and whereas my original goal for letters was 30 my new goal is 50. So far, I have 25: 21 from women and 4 from men - from all over the United states and from countries as far as Spain and India, from people between the ages of 17 and 70. Gentlemen, if you have nothing to do or believe in making the world a smaller place through small connections between people…if you believe in the written word and the beauty of handwriting - write me a letter!
Ladies, too - please join in on the project! The only thing I ask is that all of you write out the questions and answers in PEN so that they don’t get smudged or faded etc. Be as creative as you’d like - use a legal pad or your grandma’s stationary or a napkin- make your envelope or use one of the ready-post ones from the post office, I like it all. People have even sent me random photographs, clippings and postcards with their answers and I won’t lie, I really love that. When I display them, I will display everything that came in the envelope and the envelope as well (but i will cover your address if it is on the front).
So here goes, again:
State of Residence:
1. Describe a childhood memory.
2. Do you consider yourself a good liar?
3. What makes a “successful” person, to you?
4. Do you feel you are living life to the fullest?
5. Describe something that you were once afraid of doing, but did anyway.
6. Describe a dream that you’ll never forget (could be a sleep-dream, a day-dream or a goal).
7. Which part of your body do you like the most? The least?
8. Describe something about yourself or something that you’ve accomplished that you’re proud of.
9. Do you have health insurance?
10. If you could travel anywhere for two weeks for free, where would you go?
11. What is love for you? How many times have you felt “in love?” Are you in love now?
12. What is your favorite time of day?
13. How do you sleep?
14. Describe something you haven’t done yet that you would like to do before the end of your life.
15. How is your relationship with your family?
16. What is your favorite color to wear?
17. What is a food you must always have around because you love it so much?
18. When was the last time you belly-laughed and what was so funny?
For all who write and care to write their return address on the envelope (with or without their name or initials) I pledge to send you a beautiful personal thank you note and an update on the project.
If you would like to check out my artist’s website, click HERE. There is a page dedicated to the Letter Project.
If you would like to check out the original Letter Project tumblr post, click HERE.
Thank you all and Happy New Year!